Friday, January 10, 2014

Popped Brown Rice Treats

I think Rice Krispies is a trade mark name, but just so you know, that is sort of what I made today, but in a whole new way.  I learned how to make popped rice this weekend.   When I tried it out, and told some friends, they immediately asked about Rice Krispie Treats.  One friend even mentioned making butter and marshmallows too.  I took their words as a challenge.  My inner Curious George culinary novice brain, said yeah lets do this.  Today was the day.   Well actually, last night started the day.  Last night I steamed 3 1/2 cups of short brown rice (Nishiki Sushi grade rice is what I used).   I rinsed it till the water ran clear and put it in the rice cooker pot with enough water to reach my first knuckle with my finger touching the top of the rice.  I set the rice cooker to brown rice and let it do it's job, steaming the rice of course.  After the rice was cooked, I spread it on a long sheet of parchment paper on my kitchen table to dry over night.  

 Popped Brown Rice Treats, like the Rice Krispie Treats we all grew up eating but better.

 This morning I placed the rice in my dehydrator, on the screens included,  and set the temperature
to 105 Fahrenheit and dried it for several hours, rotating the two layers once half way through.
When the rice is dry, you are ready for the next step.  You could also dry your rice on cookie
sheets for a couple of days.   The rice should be dry all the way through for this to work.



 Ingredients to make popped rice are: dried rice, peanut oil, mesh sieve, and stock pot or wok.

 Place rice in a mesh sieve, something that will fit in the pan you have oil in.

 Here is my trick that a friend asked me about. I fry my rice in peanut oil, peanut oil heated to
400 Fahrenheit in a wok on my stove.

 Let the popping commence. Before...

 After!  When the the bubbles have stopped between the rice in your mesh sieve you know
you have cooked all the rice.  I drained my rice on a paper towel lined plate.

 Ingredients you will need for marshmallows: 3 packages unflavored gelatin, 1 cup ice cold water,
12 ounces white sugar (about 1 1/2 cups), 1 cup light corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoons salt,
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar.

 Pour gelatin in mixing bowl with 1/2 cup cold water, let bloom.

 Pour 1/2 cup water, white sugar, corn syrup, and salt into sauce pan.  Place over medium high
heat and cover with lid.  Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. 

 Uncover and clip on candy thermometer.   Cook until the mixture reaches 240 Fahrenheit,
about 7 to 8 minutes.   Remove from heat immediately.

 Turn mixer onto low.   Drizzle mixture down the side of the bowl.  When all the mixture
has been poured, turn mixer speed to high. 

 Mix for 12 minutes.   After 10 minutes add the vanilla extract.

 You only need 1/4 of this for our treats.  Mix cornstarch and powdered sugar together.   Sprinkle
 half on small cookie sheet.  Spread the marshmallow mixture on pan.   sprinkle the other
half the sugar/cornstarch.  Allow marshmallows to set on counter over night, then enjoy
homemade marshmallows. 

 Ingredients for this recipe are: popped rice, 1/4 cup coconut oil, and marshmallow.

Heat marshmallow in mixing bowl on low, on stove, while mixing in coconut oil, this will take
seconds since we didn't let this marshmallow set like the rest.  Add marshmallow/coconut oil
mix to popped rice and stir.  Pour everything into desire greased dish, and allow to cool.

I don't have a rectangular pan so I used my cake pan.  They were delicious just so you know.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm these were good - the brown rice adds such a nutty, wholesome flavor to this delicious treat. They take longer to chew than treats made with store-bought Krispies: more time to enjoy the flavor : )

    ReplyDelete