Thursday, January 2, 2014

Not Your Average White Bread

I have been making homemade bread for a couple of weeks, but when my WonderMill accidentally stopped working, I had to buy flour.  I decided to buy bread flour, white plain bread flour.  Of course, since I don't want to make white bread according to the directions, I changed it up a little.  I used Coconut Oil instead of butter, and loved the results.  To make this incredible easy bread you will need warm water, bread flour, instant yeast, coconut oil, sugar, and Kosher salt.

Can you smell that wonderful bread?  No, well then we should change that.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 3 cups lukewarm water, 1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast, 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt, 2 tablespoons sugar (I used honey in my first batch and recommend that
 over the sugar), 1/2 cup melted Coconut Oil, 7 cups bread flour.

 Add water (I microwave water for 30 seconds), yeast, salt, and sugar into stand mixer bowl.
Let foam and get happy.

 When the yeast is happy, drizzle in Coconut oil and flour.

 Mix with dough hook until the dough looks thoroughly combined.

 Rub Coconut Oil all over a large container (5 quart) that has a lid and put dough in container,
rubbing the sides to get oil on the dough.  Let dough rest for 2 hours with lid on, or until doubled.  If you have a cold counter, try using a heating pad under the container set to medium.

 This is dough that has grown up and is ready to move into bread pans, Woo Hoo!

 I have two 12 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.  If you have 9x4x3 pans, you have enough dough to make
three 1 1/2 lb. loaves.  This dough can keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. so if you have
one pan no worries.  I halved my dough and kneaded it with more flour to make it easier to handle
 and put it in two Coconut Oil greased loaf pans. 

 Let dough rest in pans for 40 minutes or until doubled.  When rested, sprinkle with flour and use a serrated knife to slash the top, also brush top with Coconut Oil.  

Twenty minutes into the dough rest period turn on the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.  When dough is
done resting, pour 1 cup of hot water into an oven safe pan (broiler pan also works) on the bottom of your oven and place loaf pans in the middle of oven on rack.  Bake bread for 45 minutes.
Allow to cool on rack before slicing. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment