Saturday, January 18, 2014

Beef & Black Bean Empañadas (with a little tamale flare)

What do I mean by an empañada with a tamale flare?  I changed the recipe and included Maseka so it tastes like a tamale but has the look and portability of an empañada (as in you can pick it up and it won't crumble between your fingertips or require a fork and knife to eat).  I enjoy making and eating Mexican food.  Of course, I'm fairly certain my gringo heritage and my lack of a Mexican grandmother, as I pointed out before, means my knowledge is limited as to what authentic Mexican food is truly like. Forgive me as I share with you a recipe I came up with on my own that has a Mexican flare to it.

If an empañada and a tamale got together.

Ingredients for this recipe are: 140 grams of all purpose flour, 140 grams of Maseca flour
(total of about 2 1/4 cups), 1 egg, 1 stick frozen butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 cup ice water,
and 1 tablespoon vinegar (I tripled the recipe since I was bringing this to a potluck at church).

For the filling I used leftover chili.  Did you make the chili I posted about here? I drained it in a large sieve over a large bowl, I needed a less wet filling.

Preheat oven to 375 Farenheit

 Add all ingredients to a bowl.  Using your fingers break apart the butter into pea size pieces,
then use the pastry blender to finish incorporating all the butter throughout the flour.

My massive ball of empañada (with a tamale flare) dough goodness.

 Put out a large sheet of parchment paper on work surface.   Dust with flour and roll out dough
to a large rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.

 Cut dough using a 4 inch round cookie cutter.  Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle.
Fold over, press edges and crimp if you would like or use a fork.

 My husband kindly photographed my impressive empañada skills.

 Look at those beauties?  Brush with egg wash (1 egg yolk, and 1 tablespoon water mixed). 
Bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes, maybe more.
 Check your food after 10.

I love how they turned out.

By the way, I had to test one before we went to our church potluck, and yes it tasted like a tamale
 but so much more portable.  I have memories of eating tamales my mom bought from a local
Mexican store and topped with canned chili.  Don't mock me, it was really good.
This is for you mom.  Thanks for the idea.

Enjoy!

1 comment: