Saturday, January 11, 2014

Lasagna

My daughter likes lasagna, my husband likes it, and when I made it a couple of weeks ago, I was asked by a friend for the recipe.   So here it goes.  Today's lasagna was amazing, and really big.  You are welcome to make it as big as my friend's pan that I used, but you don't have to unless your feeding a crowd of ravenous long distance runners carbo loading before a track and field meet.  Well, it doesn't have to be a crowd of long distance runners, any crowd interested in lasagna will do.

 Garfield would envy this massive lasagna.

Ingredients for sauce recipe are: 1 #10 Can tomatoes (San Marzano if you can get them, my Costco
sells them), 2 lbs. ground beef, 1 lb. Hot Italian Sausage (Costco sells it), 2 zucchini,
2 yellow squash, 1 yellow onion, 1 head of garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

 Look at these beautiful tomatoes from Italy. Blend tomatoes with immersion blender, 
crush with hands, or puree in blender and pour into large non-reactive stock pot.

 
  Brown ground beef with salt and pepper, remove hot sausage from casing and brown with
diced yellow onion and garlic pushed through garlic press.  Add cooked meat to sauce in pot.
Place over medium heat until it boils, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for half an hour.

 Dice yellow squash and zucchini and add to sauce and simmer till squash is cooked.

Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.

 Ingredients for lasagna recipe are: marinara sauce, sauteed mushrooms, 2 lbs. fresh lasagna pasta
(I made my own with the recipe I posted here), shredded mozzarella cheese, 5 cups homemade ricotta
(I made my own with the recipe found here), and shredded Parmesan cheese.


 First pour several ladle fulls of sauce in bottom of pan.

 Add pasta, more sauce, mushrooms, then ricotta and mozzarella cheese.

 Repeat three more times.  After the last layer of everything, add grated Parmesan cheese.
Place lasagna pan on large cookie sheet if you can or place aluminum foil on shelf below
middle shelf.  Put lasagna in oven above aluminum foil or cookie sheet, bake uncovered for
45 minutes, or until cheese is brown.

Look at that beautiful lasagna.   It was delicious, perfectly seasoned, not salty, delicious.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful, tall, and the noodle texture was perfect.

    ReplyDelete