Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Beef Stroganoff

Many years ago when my oldest daughter was a baby and learning to walk, we went to Kansas to visit my husband's oldest brother.  My sister in law made beef stroganoff.  It was completely different from what my mom made and so delicious.   My mom, like every other mother of the 80s, used cream soup, you know the red can brand, for many casserole type meals.  For beef stroganoff she used cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup (sour cream if she had it), ground beef, and egg noodles.  My sister in law had used sliced beef that had been sauteed and was in a gravy type sauce and served over egg noodles.  When I got home, I searched recipe books (before Google) looking for a recipe that sounded similar to what I had enjoyed so much. I found a recipe and made beef stroganoff.  It was awesome.  To this day I make it in a similar fashion to that recipe I found so many years ago.  I don't have the recipe, so I make it from memory and also in my own way.

 It was delicious, you should try it, oh wait we ate it all (sorry).

 Ingredients for the sauce recipe are: 1-2 lbs. sirloin steak, 1 yellow onion, 2 pints of baby
bella mushrooms (or white button mushrooms), 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil
(not pictured), 1 tablespoon Better Than Boullion Beef, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used homemade yogurt, recipe can be found here, or use sour cream), and water.

 Slice steak against the grain.   Whatever direction the grooves/lines in the meat are going,
turn your meat 90 degrees and slice thinly.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

 Peel, then cut onion in half and slice thinly, slice mushrooms thinly.

 Ingredients for buttered noodles: 1 1/2 lbs. fresh egg noodles (use this recipe), 1/2 stick of butter.

 Add butter and olive oil to a preheated pan set to medium high. Add beef and saute just
until browned, only 2-3 minutes or so.  DO NOT OVERCOOK THE BEEF!

 Remove beef and set aside in a bowl.

 Add more butter, olive oil, mushrooms, and onion.  Saute for a couple of minutes until
onion is translucent. 

 Add one tablespoon of Better Than Boullion to pan. Add 2 cups hot water, Worcestershire sauce,
 and a sprinkle of garlic powder (optional).  Mix together 2 tablespoons of corn starch and cold water.  Now you can add the beef back in.   When Beef Stroganoff is boiling, add corn starch mixture.  Only
add enough to make it the thickness you want.  Remove from heat and add yogurt or sour cream,
my mother in law assured me many years ago this is the ingredient that makes Beef Stroganoff.

 Boil fresh noodles for 30 seconds or dry egg noodles according to package.  Drain, put back
in pan and toss with butter

Plate up some noodles and pour beef stroganoff on top.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment