Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cornbread

I'm making chili for dinner.   See the next post for the recipe.  My husband always reminds me that if I'm going to make chili, I must also make cornbread.  Our church has a chili cook-off every year around Halloween, and what I have noticed is that very few people bring cornbread and it is gone far quicker than the chili.  My point is cornbread should be with chili.  You know the saying (using your best hillbilly accent) "Cornbread and chili," they are synonymous with each other, they go together like Lavern and Shirley, milk and cereal.  I like cornbread, it can be tricky though.  Making cornbread that is moist and flavorful is hard.  Tonight's cornbread recipe was born out of my pantry using what I had to work with, and even with that history it turned out well.

Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit


 Cornbread and chili, did you say it with the accent?  I did.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 2 cups white or yellow cornmeal (I had white on hand), 2 cups self-rising flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 1/2 cups milk (next time I'll use my homemade cultured buttermilk, mine wasn't ready yet, recipe found here), 3/4 cups honey (I used raw).

 Pour or put all ingredients in mixer bowl.

 Mix with whisk attachment until thoroughly mixed, let rest until oven is preheated.

 Evenly divide between two cake pans, or pour into a 9x13 pan.

 Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from pans, allow to cool then cut.


Cornbread and chili, another chance to say with an accent.  Silly people.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment