Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Eggplant Parmesan

Tonight my friend Lori will have her recipe for eggplant Parmesan.  Ask and ye shall receive.  This recipe came about as a side dish to the massive lasagna I made on Saturday over the weekend for a dinner party.  My friend Angela and I tag teamed dinner with another friend Tiffany helping that night, and with my husband's description of this particular dish we came up with a recipe using the ingredients I had on hand.  It was a hit, well liked by everyone, won out over the lasagna just barely too.

Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
 

 I like the softness of the photo, and the taste of this meal was out of this world good.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 2 small eggplants (pick firm fleshed ones), 4 eggs, flour, salt &
pepper, shredded mozzarella cheese, and prepared marinara sauce (you can use my
homemade sauce recipe found here).

 Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on one side of the slices.

 Place a cup of flour in container, with a fork beat the eggs in another container.  This will be your dredging station.

 Dredge eggplant slices in flour on both sides....

 Then into egg....

 Finally into flour again.

 Preheat 1/2 inch of olive oil in large skillet. Fry eggplant until golden brown on both sides.  I changed the oil once in the middle of this process so I had fresh oil for all of the frying.

 Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined plate.  Sprinkle with salt.

 Add a layer of sauce to two long bread pans if you want to do what I did (necessity is the
mother of invention when you don't have a rectangular pan) or to a 9x13 pan (glass or metal).
Add one layer of fried eggplant.

 Spoon on some sauce, a little really, and sprinkle with cheese.

 Repeat until all the eggplant is used.

 Bake in oven for 30 minutes.

Serve yourself a stack or half a stack of eggplant.  I really like using a bread pan, the
fried eggplant retains its crisp fried edges this way. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment