Tuesday, January 28, 2014

French Omelette

I love French Omelette.  I learned how to make them a few years ago and they are the only way I like my omelette now.  I have become an omelette snob, I only cook them the way I will show you in this post.  Omelettes are a wonderful way to use left overs too.   If you have leftover steamed, sauteed, or stir fried vegetables add them to a french omelette and voila you have made good use of your left overs.

That is a wonderful folded yummy breakfast.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 2 eggs per person (I was making two omelettes so I used 4 eggs),
Baby Bella Mushrooms, 1 Roma tomato,  1 green onion, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, and Ghee (butter or cooking spray would also work).  These are the ingredients I had, but omelettes are a
personal breakfast.   You can use what you want inside, mix it up.  Remember this is your breakfast
 use ingredients you like.

 Add hot water to bowl of eggs to warm them up to room temperature, about five minutes should
do it.  Remember the French don't have to do this step because they don't refrigerate their eggs
 like we Americans do.

 Dice the tomatoes and green onions.  Slice the mushrooms.

 Whatever vegetables you decide to use should be sauteed before placing in the omelette.

 Whisk the eggs until pale yellow.

  Melt a teaspoon of Ghee or other oil in a preheated, on medium flame, 8 inch saute pan.

 Add eggs.

 Pull sides of eggs towards center with silicone spatula and tip pan to spread uncooked eggs to the
open spot.  Repeat steps clockwise around the pan.

 Add ingredients to middle, do not overload the omelette.  Think French not American omelette.
 Also think fast cook time.  We want to set the eggs not overcook them.
Fold one third of omelette to center.

 Now tipping the pan gently roll omelette out onto plate and flipping it into a neatly folded in
thirds letter.

This omelette was my first one and trying to photograph and cook is difficult to say the least,
so it is more done than I would like.  This next omelette is how your omelette should look.

This omelette is cooked, but not browned, so the eggs are perfect.  When I was younger my
brother made omelettes,  they were his favorite breakfast and one of only a couple of foods
he was able to make at that time.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Have you watched Julia Child make omelettes? After I read "Dearie" I had to go and watch the videos. So much fun. I love your blog. I really miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete