Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Multigrain Pasta

I've been working on a recipe for whole grain pasta these past few months.  Today's recipe was sort of a everything but the kitchen sink type recipe.  I added every whole grain I had to make pasta dough. Stay tuned, I'm not done experimenting on my family, I mean experimenting with food and my family. My multigrain pasta includes equal parts: brown rice, spelt, pearled barley, rolled oats, semolina, and 00 Typo Flour.  I milled most of these myself except the semolina and 00 Typo Flour.  You can also buy these as flour.

 Spaghetti and meatballs, they go together like bread and butter, chili and cornbread. 

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 4 cups multigrain flour (brown rice, spelt, pearled barley, rolled
oats, semolina, and 00 Typo Flour), 6 eggs, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 tablespoons Olive Oil.

 Mix flours and salt together in a large bowl.  Make a well in the flour and add eggs and Olive Oil.  Using fingers or fork beat the eggs.

Begin mixing flour into eggs, and continue until dough is together.   Knead the dough for a
few minutes.

 Form a ball with the dough.   Rub olive oil on ball.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest
 for 30 minutes.

Divide dough into 8 portions. At this point invite a family member or friend to help roll out the
dough.  My friend Bridget helped me roll out this pasta while I made meatballs and sauce.
Bridget also had help from my daughter and her son.

 Roll dough through pasta machine on highest setting, 7 and work the dough through the
subsequent roller settings, 6, 5, 4, and 3.  When you have rolled through the 3 setting it is time
to cut the pasta. 
 
We made a lot of spaghetti.

Here it is with turkey meatballs and sauce.  Very yummy.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting my son and I help with this meal! The pasta was very good. I'm considering purchasing a pasta machine now...

    ReplyDelete