Saturday, February 8, 2014

Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb

I am a complete novice about cooking lamb.  I did some searching trying to understand how to cook it.  I am still learning.  When I went to the butcher, and picked up the leg of lamb, he suggested a boneless lamb.  He kindly removed the bones in a leg of lamb and tied up the meat into a nice roast.  My inspiration for the flavors was from Serious Eats.  The guy on the website is amazing about describing how to cook food and gives reasons why he chose what he chose, and how he does what he does to food.  My other inspiration for dinner comes from the butcher who sold me the lamb and the local Greek population.  The butcher told me make sure I had potatoes with my lamb.  The Greek flavor is garlic, and herbs. 

 The coloring is a work of art I think.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 4 lbs. boneless leg of lamb tied up in a bundle, 2 teaspoons dried
thyme, 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, 8 cloves of peeled garlic, and 3 tablespoons olive oil.

 Press garlic into a small bowl with herbs and olive oil.

 Mix marinade, this will be our marinade for the lamb for the next 24 hours.

 Push and rub marinade into all crevices and all over the lamb.

 Place lamb in large gallon size Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Next day - are you ready to roast this beautiful meat?

Preheat oven to 275 Fahrenheit

 Place lamb in a roasting pan with rack.   My roasting pan is huge.  The lamb looks small. 
Roast lamb for 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 130-135 for medium/rare.
The smell of this lamb is so lovely.  Halfway into cooking time, as in 1 1/2 hours into roasting,
I flipped the lamb over.

 Remove lamb from oven and check temperature with instant read thermometer.
Allow lamb to rest for 10-15 minutes to redistribute juices.

 Slice lamb.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. That looks so delicious! I love the coloring - a work of art, like you said.

    ReplyDelete