Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lemon Feta Skillet Potatoes

As the butcher pointed out, my lamb needed to be served with potatoes.  I didn't want just any potatoes. I wanted something Greek. I Googled Greek potatoes and found lemon and feta were a popular combination for Greek potatoes.  I didn't have an oven to roast my potatoes, so I used my cast iron skillet and chose a more American style preparation for the potatoes. Oh, and good news, these potatoes didn't have a stow away rock friend.

See the potatoes to the right?  I have seen the light.  Feta and lemon together make potatoes
so delicious.  Join me and come towards the light.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: Eastern or Red Potatoes (I figured one per person, with two extra),
2 lemons, 6 large cloves or 12 small cloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons
coarse sea salt (not pictured), and Feta.

 Peel out yellow layer of lemon and blend with salt until the salt is yellow.

 Sift salt into bowl, leaving lemon peel in the sieve.  Squeeze lemon through the sieve. This
catches the seeds for you.

 Add olive oil to lemon mixture in bowl and whisk.  Clean potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
 Toss potatoes with lemon mixture. 

Preheat 12 inch cast iron skillet on high for 5 minutes and reduce burner to medium.
Add potatoes and lemon mixture to pan.   Stir and cover until potatoes are soft.  Remove lid
and brown potatoes.  Using a fork, separate Feta into chunks and serve over potatoes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment