Monday, February 3, 2014

Chocolate Syrup

I confess that I don't like the taste of milk on its own.  I like it with cookies, cake, pancakes, and french toast but not really on its own.  I do like the taste of chocolate milk, as do my children.  I have been thinking about making chocolate syrup for milk for a couple months now.  I decided not to buy it from the store.  Plus, a certain Pennsylvania chocolate company disappointed me with the simple declaration on the front saying it was chocolate flavor and of course the High Fructose Corn Syrup listed on the back as a main ingredient.  What is up with that?  This is not a healthy recipe.  Please understand me when I say this is made with cocoa and it is not sugar free.

 That is chocolate milk, the good stuff and I can pronounce the ingredients!

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup water,
dash of salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

 Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan.  Gently whisk together, trying not to add air to this mixture.  Turn burner to medium and bring to a boil, stir occasionally.

 Once it has boiled, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 minute.  I use a fine mesh skimmer to
remove the stuff on the surface.

 Pour into a lidded container.   If you happen to have a chocolate syrup bottle or a squeeze
bottle pour into those.  Store in refrigerator.

Add 2 teaspoons to 8 ounces cold milk, stir...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... the chocolate milk made with this syrup is delicious! I had two glasses... and I almost never drink milk!

    ReplyDelete