Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fruit Snacks

This is the recipe my oldest son proclaimed was the best thing I have ever made.  Fruit snacks are super popular in my family and they go super fast when I buy a box of them from the store.  This recipe thankfully is very easy to make and the recipe list is super short.  I have been thinking about making fruit snacks for awhile.  It was a trip to Ikea that finally got me to make them.  I needed a mold to make them, and I didn't want the individual wells to be too big.  In other words I didn't want huge fruit snacks.  Ikea had chocolate molds, 3 for $1.99, so I snatched up four packages.  My next purchase was fruit juice concentrate (as in frozen fruit juice concentrate).  I didn't think finding frozen fruit juice concentrate would be so hard, but it turns out it is.  I ended up making my own frozen fruit juice concentrate for this recipe.  I'm guessing the rest of you will actually be able to find fruit juice concentrate in your local grocery freezer section.  If by chance you don't find it, you can make it by freezing fruit juice and placing it upside down at an angle inside a tall container (a pitcher works) and allow the juice to thaw slowly.  When the ice left in the juice is clear mostly then your done and can discard the ice.  The juice will thaw faster than the frozen water.  For fruit snacks, choose string flavors of juice such as grape, cherry, cranberry.  Avoid pineapple juice the enzyme in pineapple will prevent the gelatin from working.  Also avoid apple.  I prefer 100% juice but that is my preference and you may choose otherwise.

 Do your kids come screaming when you say you have fruit snacks?  Mine do.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 1/3 cup favorite fruit juice concentrate (Mine are Greek, how about yours?) 2-3 packets of gelatin (2 creates a squishy fruit snack and 3 will create a firmer fruit snack), molds to make them in or a 8 in square pan.

 Pour juice into small sauce pan, and add gelatin on top.  Turn burner to medium and whisk until
gelatin is dissolved.  Remove from heat and pour into measuring cup.

 Spray molds with non-stick spray.  Pour liquid into molds and allow to set for 20 minutes.  I doubled this recipe for my peach juice and tripled it with the sour cherry juice I used.

 These are my sour cherry fruit snacks, work quickly this sets up fast.

 Look at all those fruit snacks.

I used a toothpick to remove mine from the molds.  My children and I both agree that the sour
cherry were better, I think because the flavor was more pronounced.   These were a big hit.
I will definitely make these again.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Too much fun! This is such a great idea and so simple. I had no idea fruit snacks were so easy. Also, I love the tip on making your own juice concentrate - who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your recipe is way easier than any other I have seen. Thanks I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete