Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

A few years ago, my husband took me to a burger restaurant in California called Ruby's.  It's a restaurant that my sister-in-law Rachelle LOVES.  I ordered a burger, and on the side they offer all you can eat fries.   I picked sweet potato fries, and oh my goodness I was hooked from then on.  A good friend of mine, that I grew up with, Mese has a sandwich shop in California in my family's home town. He has my favorite sandwich, The Black Friday, and it is served with sweet potato fries too, SO YUMMY!  These  are not fried like those at the two restaurants.  I added a lot of spices and flavor and baked mine, so they aren't like the simple down home fried variety.  You can leave out the chili if you want.

 Sweet and spicy, a wonderful combination.

Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit
 Ingredients for this recipe are: 4 sweet potatoes, 4 garlic cloves, 1 dried CosteƱo Chili (chili
powder will also work, or omit it if you don't want spicy at all), 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons
whole peppercorns, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1/3 cup olive oil, and 2 teaspoons whole cumin.

 Peel sweet potatoes, and cut into french fry sticks, 1/2 inch.

 Soak sweet potatoes in ice water for 30 minutes.

 Toast cumin and peppercorns in dry pan over medium burner.

 Soak chili in hot water for 10 minutes.

Grind pepper, salt, paprika, and cumin in spice/coffee grinder.

 Press garlic through garlic press into pan with ground spice mixture, sliced chili pepper
 and olive oil.

 Cook spice paste over medium flame for 1 minute, or until it bubbles and boils.

 Dry the sweet potatoes on paper towels.

 Toss potatoes and spice mixture in a large bowl.

 Look at the spices and glossy potatoes, so pretty.

 Bakes potatoes on parchment paper lined cookie sheets for 20-25 minutes.

Remove fries from oven.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment