Saturday, February 8, 2014

Chocolate Cake Pops

This morning was pretty horrible.  My husband went to take our laundry to the laundromat and found out someone hit our van.  Remember how I said I just rescued my van from the snow and ice?  Well now my van is out of commission for repairs.  Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to make a cake, but I was expecting our friend Luz to come over at 6 pm to make cake pops.  I agreed to make the cake so that we could make the cake pops.  It took me a few hours admittedly, to get into the mood to bake a cake. Finally, after cleaning dishes and vacuuming, I made a cake. I used Chef Brad's Wonderflour Chocolate Cake recipe found here but you are welcome to make a cake from a box and I won't judge you. Thank you to Luz for coming over and making cake pops and teaching my daughter's and I.

 Are you ready for Valentine's?  No, you should make these so you are.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: Baked and Cooled Chocolate cake (I used homemade, recipe
found here), Assortment of Sprinkles and Candies in Valentine Colors, 1 container cream
cheese frosting, 2 tablespoons olive oil (not pictured), sucker sticks, and 12 ounce Melting
Candy: Chocolate flavor.

 Remove cake from pan, only use the soft interior of the cake and break into small pieces.

 Process cake with three heaping scoops of cream cheese frosting a food processor or a mixer with whisk attachment, or your hands if you don't have any kitchen appliances.

 The cake mixture should stick together to form a ball when rolled in your hand.

 Roll cake mixture flat, 1/2 inch thick.

 Using a pizza cutter cut 2 inch squares.

 Roll squares into balls.

 So many sprinkles!

 When the cake balls are rolled and ready, freeze them for 10 minutes.

 Fill sauce pan with 1 inch water, place bowl over pan to create a double boiler.  Turn burner to medium-high and boil.  Pour melting candies into bowl.

 When candy is melted stir in olive oil.

 The cake pops are ready to be assembled!  Call in reinforcements!
Dip stick into candy and push cake ball onto stick.

 Dip cake ball into melted candy and coat lightly.

 Tap stick lightly on bowl to remove extra candy coating.

 Add your favorite sprinkles and repeat with remaining cake balls.
 
If you happen to have a colander with large enough holes, turn it upside down and use as a
cake pop stand while they dry.  It becomes a beautiful bouquet of cake pops.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I loved the colander idea! Thanks for the Valentine's Day treat : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks for this step by step picture tutorial! These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete