Monday, February 3, 2014

Enchilada Sauce

My sister Adrienne introduced me to making enchilada sauce.  As sisters, we would get together to make enchilada sauce and can it.  Since moving here to Queens, I have missed that enchilada sauce. Recently when I made the chili I posted here, I thought about changing the way I make enchilada sauce too.  Enchiladas are so yummy and I wanted to use the chilies I had left from making chili.  This recipe for sauce has me thinking about what I like in sauce and about those sauce making days with my sisters. 

 I really do love seeing jars fresh from the pressure cooker and ready to be stored on my shelf,
waiting for whatever destiny I have in store for it.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 1 #10 Can Tomatoes, 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds (Or ground),
1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Or Ground), 1 Tablespoon Paprika, 1 Yellow Onion, 6 Cloves
Peeled Garlic, 2 dried Ancho chilies, 2 and CosteƱo Chilies (Or Chili Powder).  
Use less chilies if you don't like spicy sauce.
 Toast chilies, cumin, and coriander in a dry pan over a medium flame for 3 minutes.
If you are using dried powder, disregard this step.

 Grind cumin and coriander in spice/coffee grinder.  If you are using powder forget
about this step.

 Freshly ground spices, mmmm.  Of course if you opted for pre-ground spices you will not
enjoy the aroma emanating from your spice grinder, sorry.

 Soak dried chilies in hot water for 15 minutes. You may skip this step if you chose chili powder.

 Finely dice the onion and push garlic through press. I love cutting onion really small, I don't
 know why.   I'm weird I know.

 Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil over a medium-low flame...

 Until translucent, and done.

 Add tomatoes and ground spices. Increase flame to medium.

 Add chilies (removing seeds) and blend with an immersion blender. Cook until boiling, reduce
heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. 

 Isn't it pretty?

 Pour into clean sterilized jars.   Mine fit into 7 pint jars.

Pressure can on high for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment