Thursday, December 19, 2013

Stephanie's Food For Thought: Coconut Oil


I started substituting coconut oil in some of my recipes for a couple of reasons.  First was I had heard it was healthy oil, second because I wanted the flavor, third because I ran out of oil or butter.  Dr. Oz wrote on his site "Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida.  Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood-sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins."  More about what he says on coconut oil can be found here.  Right now I'm not sure about feeling the health benefits for my family but I do enjoy the taste, it adds a very subtle flavor.  I buy a 54 oz container of coconut oil, the picture above is what I buy at Costco for $15. Amazon also sells it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment