Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Buttermilk Spelt Pancakes

My children LOVE pancakes. We have eaten pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. These pancakes are the best pancakes I have ever made.  This recipe is the culmination of many attempts at the perfect pancakes.  These pancakes will change your life, well not really, but they are that yummy.

Would you like to make these?

Ingredients for this recipe are: three large eggs,  1 tablespoon sugar (I used turbinado), 
3 tablespoons coconut oil, 1 2/3 buttermilk(I used homemade, recipe found here), 1/2 teaspoon 
salt, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 1/2 cups Spelt flour 
(I freshly milled mine).

 Separate the three eggs, put the yokes in a bowl, put the egg whites in a mixer and beat
them until they form stiff peaks.   Remove the egg whites to a plate, bowl, whatever you
want and put them aside.

Put coconut oil, buttermilk, and egg yolks in the mixing bowl and mix.

 Add the flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and salt.  Mix the batter till just mixed.
Do Not Over-mix!

 Gently add half the egg whites and fold in, this half can be added quickly.  the second half
should be folded in slowly, we don't want to deflate the egg whites.

 Let the batter rest while you pre-heat the griddle.

 Would you like Gingerbread pancakes, my son's don't like these so I didn't get to make them this way.  The ingredients to add for Gingerbread cookies are: 2 tablespoons molasses, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ginger.

I used a 1/4 cup ladle to pour batter on the griddle.

 Beautiful pancakes, that is why I use a ladle to pour.

Flip the pancakes when you see bubbles around the edge.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment