Saturday, December 21, 2013

Spelt Pita Bread

I wanted a chicken gyro for dinner tonight so I set to work to make pita bread.  This recipe is one I found online and changed a little to use spelt instead.

Homemade pita bread, lets make some together.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 1 tablespoon honey (I used raw), 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1/4 cup
olive oil, 2 1/2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, 2 1/2 cups spelt flour,
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast.

 Bloom the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon honey.  Look how happy and foamy that yeast is.

 Add the remaining 1 cup warm water, yeast mixture, salt, and olive oil into a mixing bowl.  I mixed these ingredients in a stand mixer.

 Add flour and mix some more with a dough hook until dough forms a ball.

 Put dough on lightly floured surface and knead in flour until it isn't sticky.  Round the dough, pulling
it on itself to form a skin and place in an oiled bowl covered in plastic wrap.  Putting the bowl on a heating pad set to medium will help the dough rise, my kitchen is cold so this step helps. Let the
dough rise for an hour or until doubled.

 The dough has doubled in size and is ready to be used.

 I weighed my dough and it is 818 grams.  I divided this by 12 and it divided the dough into balls.

 My divided dough is ready.

 Flatten the dough and place on parchment paper and let rest for 30 minutes.

 Set your oven temperature to 500 Fahrenheit.  When the oven is ready place the pita on the wire
 rack and cook for 2 minutes or until it bubbles up and flip over for another minute of cooking.

 Voila, we have pita bread fresh from the oven.

We ate our with my homemade Tzaziki sauce, sliced cucumbers, sliced red bell pepper, spinach,
Feta cheese, and shredded rotisserie chicken.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment