Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ramen Noodles

We have a seventeen year old Chinese boy living with us while he attends high school.  He loves Ramen noodles.  I was buying Japanese Ramen noodles a lot until I decided to stop and find out if I could make them.  The good news is that you can.  I'm going to show you how.  Ramen noodles have three ingredients: bread flour, water, and Kansui. You will find Kansui (Koon Chun Potassium Carbonate & Sodium Bi-Carbonate) in an Asian specialty store.  The Kansui reacts with the flour causing it to both turn yellow and strengthen the protein to create that classic Ramen noodle.  Also on the plus side, these noodles were not fried and have no preservatives.  I made Ramen noodles for lunch, and our Chinese boy said they were the best noodles I have made.

Ramen noodles, not from an orange bag or white Styrofoam cup.  Do you want to make some?

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 300 grams bread flour (about 2 cups), 1/2 cup warm water,
1 Teaspoon Kansui


 Mix water and Kansui together and pour into flour in the bowl of a stand mixer.

 Mix with a dough hook for 10 minutes.  The dough will look like gravel, and that is okay.

 This dough isn't sticky.   Separate into two discs.  Run through pasta roller until you have
reached a number 3 setting.

 Roll sheets through spaghetti cutter roller.

 Voila, lots of Ramen noodles.  I doubled the recipe.

 Boil noodles in your choice of broth for 30 seconds.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! What fun and delicious recipes. We recently purchased a pasta machine. I can't wait to try this ramen noodles recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot I wanted the recipie so bad , and voila you have it thanks indeed save a lot of money lol

    ReplyDelete