Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Spelt Tortilla's and Quesadilla's

Today's lunch was quesadillas. To make them I needed tortilla's, homemade tortillas.  I milled my whole spelt in my WonderMill first, so much fun, then went to work.  My ingredients included spelt flour, salt, olive oil, and warm water.

 Yummy right?

Ingredients for this recipe are: 420 grams of spelt flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup olive oil,
1 cup warm water.

 I had fun mixing this dough, as in I let my stand mixer do most of the work with its
handy dough hook, then finished it off making it pretty.
 I weighed it and found it to be 780 grams and used my handy dandy calculator to divide 788 into 12.

 My calculator said my dough balls should be about 65.6666... anyway you get the idea.
I rounded up, so only one tortilla was measured and found wanting (poor thing). 
 Here are my not so tidy dough balls.  I know my Mexican grandmother would be so
disappointed.  Oh wait, I'm not Mexican, so I'm good.
 Let me show you my totally cool homemade rolling pin.  I bought this big dowel from
Home Depot and had them cut it in half then took it home, sanded and rubbed it with mineral
oil.  For a few dollars I had two, almost like a French rolling pin, for a fraction of the price.  

 I have a wonderful custom Viking griddle for my Viking range (not mine, it came with the apartment) to cook on.  Again my fictitious Mexican grandmother would be tsk tsking me
right now.  I should know better right, I grew up in Southern California with a lot of Mexicans.  Cook on medium-high until bubbles and browning occur on both sides and remove.  Cover tortillas with a cloth to prevent drying.  These tortillas are amazing fresh, not so much the next day or beyond.
 Now we have the fixing for quesadillas.  We love them.  We eat them breakfast, lunch, and
dinner.  We eat them in a box, in a tree, we eat them anywhere.  Oh sorry, I should stop my
 bad impersonation of Dr. Seuss.  Goodness I'm offending Mexican grandmothers and
Dr. Seuss in this post.  My toppings include shredded sharp cheddar for my version of a
 traditional quesadilla, and mozzarella and turkey pepperoni for a pizza-dilla. 
Look how wonderfully they are cooking, mmmm so yummy.
 Cheddar quesadilla with yummy melted goodness inside.
Pizza-dilla for my child who doesn't like cheddar, go figure.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! I love reading your commentary. This post is extra funny, but all of them have good humor : )

    ReplyDelete