Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Non-Alcoholic Eggnog

My husband likes Eggnog.  When I went to the store and thought about buying it, I decided, NO I don't want to buy a drink where the first ingredient is High Fructose Corn Syrup.  I read a great book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of food Life" by Barbara Kingsolver and she explained that we have an overabundance of  Corn and Soybeans.  High Fructose Corn syrup and other corn products are abundantly used everywhere.  Well I'm revolting, I will not by something with HFC in it!  Since I couldn't buy eggnog, we had to make it.  My husband helped me make the eggnog.  You will need eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, heavy cream, nutmeg and a pot and thermometer.

 Eggnog, tis the season.

 Ingredients for this recipe are: 1 pint of milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 ounce vanilla, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 4 eggs separated, 1/3 cup sugar (I used Muscovado).

 
Add milk, cream, and nutmeg in pan (I tripled the recipe, your mix wont be this much), 
cook on high just until it boils, remove from heat.

 Blend egg yolks and sugar together until dissolved.


Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.

 Temper eggs with milk mixture from pot, slowly.  I used a small ladle to add milk mixture and stirred with a long handled spoon.   Add the tempered eggs to pot and whisk and cook until it reaches 160 Fahrenheit. 

Remove pan to ice bath in sink, add vanilla and whisk to cool of mixture.

When mixture has cooled add whipped egg whites.  You are done, pour into lidded
container and refrigerate. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! I wish I had been here to try it!

    ReplyDelete