Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spicy Chicken Salad

When I was a young mother with one child, and managing our first house in California, I loved trying to find new recipes for Summer potlucks we were invited to attend.  This recipe was one of those recipes.  I don't have the recipe anymore, so today I made one up based on my memories.  We had the best Summer's in California with friends and family spending time together and playing in parks, at the beach, or in different backyards.  My memories are what I cherish now being so far away from family and friends we left behind in California.  Cooking brings me joy, and cooking and preparing food that reminds me of my California home really lets me feel better about my future.  Today I wanted food to lift my mood, and nothing like a nostalgic meal to help that along.  This is a very simple chicken salad, and it doesn't have mayonnaise.  My husband doesn't like the white stuff, so this was just for him.  

 Chicken Salad Torta, this was so yummy, you have to try this easy recipe.

Ingredients:

2 Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (leftover rotisserie chicken works well for this)
1/2 English Cucumber
1 Orange Bell Pepper
4 Campari Tomatoes (or 1 large tomato)
2 Green Onions
1/2 Seeded Jalapeño
1 Avocado
1 Lemon
1/2 cup Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
1 clove Garlic
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
 Clean cucumber, bell pepper, and tomatoes.  Dice into 1/2-1/4 inch pieces.

Shred the chicken breasts.  I had to go shopping at Costco, so I picked up a rotisserie chicken
from the deli section to use for this.  I removed the two breasts and the skin.  Using
my fingers, I shredded the chicken into a small metal bowl.

You don't have to do this part the way I did, but it does do wonders for the salad, and if you like to crush stuff.  
Cut greens onions, jalapeño, and garlic into small pieces and with the salt add them to a molcajete.

Otherwise you can add the ingredients already cut up to a small bowl.

 Grind into a paste.

 Cut lemon and squeeze lemon juice and pour avocado oil into molcajete or small bowl with
the paste and mix.  


Cut avocado in half.  Remove pit, and cut the avocado down and across inside the skin and 
remove from the peel.  

 Add cut up vegetables and fruits to the chicken, pour in the sauce and stir.  

This salad gets better if you refrigerate it for at least an hour.

Spoon some of your salad on a Torta roll, which I also purchased from Costco.

Enjoy!

Spicy Chicken Salad
Printable recipe Found Here

Ingredients:

2 Cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (leftover rotisserie chicken works well for this)
1/2 English Cucumber
1 Orange Bell Pepper
4 Campari Tomatoes (or 1 large tomato)
2 Green Onions
1/2 Seeded Jalapeño
1 Avocado
1 Lemon
1/2 cup Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
1 clove Garlic
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Process:

Clean cucumber, bell pepper, and tomatoes.  Dice into 1/2-1/4 inch pieces.
Shred chicken breast. (Rotisserie chicken from any grocery store deli works well for this recipe)
Cut greens onions, jalapeño, and garlic into small pieces and with the salt add them to a molcajete.
Otherwise you can add the ingredients already cut up to a small bowl or food processor.
Grind into a paste, or process in a food processor.
Cut lemon and squeeze lemon juice and pour avocado oil into molcajete or small bowl or food processor with the paste and mix.
Cut avocado in half.  Remove pit, and cut the avocado down and across inside the skin and remove from the peel.  
Add cut up vegetables and fruits to the chicken, pour in the sauce and stir.  
This salad gets better if you refrigerate it for at least an hour.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment