Tuesday, April 22, 2014

German's Chocolate Cake

On June 3, 1957, the recipe for German's Chocolate Cake appeared in the Dallas Morning Star "Recipe of the Day" submitted by Mrs. George Clay.  The recipe is named for the brand of chocolate used in the recipe, German's chocolate.  German's chocolate was created by Sam German for the Baker's Chocolate company in 1852.  German's chocolate is similar to semi-sweet chocolate in taste.  I first made this cake for my husband's birthday a few years ago.  Since then my youngest daughter has requested it for her birthday.  I made this cake for my daughter Haley's 10th birthday this weekend.   This recipe is completely homemade.  
Yummy cake, half frosting and half cake! Awesome!


Ingredients for Cake:

1 cup Butter
1 1/4 cups White Granulated Sugar
6 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup Boiling Water
2 cups Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
4 Egg Yolks
4 Egg Whites
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Ingredients for Coconut Pecan Frosting:

3 cups Cane Sugar (White Granulated Sugar can be substituted)
1 3/4 cups Butter
2 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
8 Egg Yolks
1 12 Ounce Can Evaporated Milk
2 cups Pecans
14 ounces Shredded Sweetened Coconut


Process for Cake:
Preheat Oven to 350 Fahrenheit

 Place butter and sugar in stand mixer bowl and mix with a whisk attachment until fluffy.

Does that look like fluffy sugar?  I always assume yes, since fluffy and sugar just don't make sense to me truthfully. Fluffy can be used to describe sugar spun into cotton candy but mixed with butter I don't get it.  Anyway, whip it good until it looks like this.

Place chocolate chips in a bowl and add hot water.  Allow to sit for 1 minute.
I used my electric water kettle to heat up the water.

 After the minute has ended, stir the chocolate until it looks uniform in appearance and texture.

 Add egg yolks to butter sugar mixture and beat on low until combined.  Add flour, baking soda, kosher salt, and mix until combined.  Mix in egg yolks.  

 Pour melted chocolate, buttermilk, and vanilla into cake batter and mix.

Whip egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.

 Gently fold in 1/3 of egg whites, and repeat until all egg whites are in the batter.

Now this looks light and fluffy, right?  I think so.  This is a beautiful chocolate batter.  I want to
 eat it all right now, but I will cook it first.

Prepare two 9 inch round cake pans by rubbing butter on the inside and placing parchment paper
 on the bottom.  Divide cake batter between the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.  I used my kitchen
 scale to measure and make sure both of these pans had the exact same amount of batter.  Yes I can
be that picky and obsessive compulsive.  When I was a kid, and people asked me why I was the
way I was, I told them, what do you expect, I have two perfectionist parents.  Of course, they
would have a child like me.  We didn't call it Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  Does that make
me old?  I started being OCD before OCD was PC.  The term used in my home was being a perfectionist. I'm distracted, sorry.  Now bake your cakes in the middle of the oven for 24-28
minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Allow cakes to set in the pans for a few minutes and remove to cooling racks.

When cakes have cooled, place on parchment paper.


Process for Coconut Pecan Frosting:

                                      
Combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in medium saucepan 
over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes or until thick.  

 Strain through a sieve.

 Stir in coconut and chopped pecans.
Chill frosting.
Look at all that frosting.  Yes, I doubled the frosting for my recipe and I am okay with it. 

Process for German's Chocolate Cake:

I placed a large plate on my cake and began slicing through with the knife butted up against the
plate to evenly cut the cake in half.  Cut both cakes, now you have four layers.


With the cut side up for the first layer, scoop some of your cooled frosting in the middle.  I started
with about 1 1/2 cups of frosting.  If that seems like too little, add more.

 Spread frosting evenly over cake.  Repeat until all four layers have been stacked together.

 Last step, take the remaining frosting and cover the whole cake.

Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.

Slice and serve.

Enjoy!


German's Chocolate Cake
Printable Recipe Found Here

Ingredients for Cake:

1 cup Butter
1 1/4 cups White Granulated Sugar
6 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup Boiling Water
2 cups Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
4 Egg Yolks
4 Egg Whites
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Ingredients for Coconut Pecan Frosting:

3 cups Sugar
1 3/4 cups Butter
2 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
8 Egg Yolks
1 12 Ounce Can Evaporated Milk
2 cups Pecans
14 ounces Shredded Sweetened Coconut

Process for Cake:

Preheat Oven to 350 Fahrenheit
Place butter and sugar in stand mixer bowl and mix with a whisk attachment until fluffy.
Place chocolate chips in a bowl and add hot water.  allow to sit for 1 minute.
After the minute has ended stir the chocolate until it looks uniform in appearance and texture.
Add egg yolks to butter sugar mixture and beat on low until combined.  Add flour, baking soda, kosher salt, and mix until combined.  Mix in egg yolks.  


Pour melted chocolate, buttermilk, and vanilla into cake batter and mix.
Whip egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
Gently fold in 1/3 of egg whites, and repeat until all egg whites are in the batter.
Prepare two 9 inch round cake pans by rubbing butter on the inside and placing parchment paper on the bottom.  
Divide cake batter between the two prepared 9 inch cake pans. Bake for 24-28 minutes.
Allow cakes to set in the pans for a few minutes and remove to cooling racks.
When cakes have cooled, place one of the cakes on a parchment paper lined cake stand.

Process for Coconut Pecan Frosting:

Combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes or until thick.  
Strain through a sieve.
Stir in coconut and chopped pecans.
Chill frosting.

Process for German's Chocolate Cake:

Cut both cakes, now you have four layers.
With the cut side up for the first layer, scoop some of your cooled frosting in the middle.  I started with about 1 1/2 cups of frosting, if it seems to little add more.
Spread frosting evenly over cake, repeat until all four layers have been stacked together.
Use the remaining frosting and cover the whole cake.
Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.

Slice and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This cake is so delicious. It is not too rich, like some German('s) Chocolate cakes are, but the frosting was divine and the nuts were fresh and soft. I just had a serving this evening, folks - I can still taste the chewy texture of the coconut and cake. Yum, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete